The waste sector accounts for 2,8 % of GHG emissions and waste generation increases by 9% every year.
THE CURRENT SITUATION
Waste and landfill areas are a serious problem for the environment,
current waste practices are no longer sustainable. Waste leads to the
pollution of ground water, soil, and air and causes the harmful release
of greenhouse gases. In fact, post-consumer waste contributes to around
2.8% of total global GHG emissions.
Worldwide there is a growing
concern about the unprecedented scale and speed of environmental
pollution and degradation, and the depletion of natural resources.
Consequently the cost of waste treatment is substantial (global average €50 a
ton, in EU €80 a ton) and stricter legislation is constantly been introduced to encourage
more sustainable solutions.
Adequate waste treatment practices
have a significant role to play when solving these issues, and waste is a
sector where important cost and emission reductions can easily be
Global Gateways waste-to-energy process is an innovative solution
integrating well-proven and tested components, and provides local
governments and industries with the most complete waste treatment
solution available today. The benefits from a waste perspective of the
Global Gateways solution are:
- Diverse fuel, all types of waste can be treated within the same process.
patented solution increases recycling efficiency, achieving 55-85%
depending on waste type, fully compliant with the EU Directive
- Increased recycling and re-use reduces need of mining
natural resources with the high associated emissions and environmental
- Energy efficient conversion of the waste to energy
- Substantial waste treatment savings for local governments
- No landfill required, no need to take up scarce and costly land
- Pollution of air, ground and water associated to landfills are avoided
- The waste to energy process has a carbon negative emission balance
Recycling & waste reduction